Monday, December 01, 2008

When I get where I'm going....I'm gonna walk with my grand-daddy. He'll match me step-for-step.

I really wish I could have really "met" my Grandpa Haugaard. He died when I was only a year and a half old. But he was SO interesting! I wish I could talk to him today and ask him what it was like growing up in Denmark. And ask him about being in the Danish underground resistance movement against the Germans in WWII. What it was like moving to the United States. I would just be bursting with questions!
My mom told me some stories. One of them is about how if he didn't leave Denmark after the war he would have been killed by the Germans. And that Frederiksen St. in Fremont is named after the people that were pretty much his family when he came to Fremont. But I wish I knew more.
I guess this will just have to at the top of my list of things to do when I get to heaven!



"When I get where I'm going, there'll be only happy tears. I will shed the sins and struggles, I have carried all these years. And I'll leave my heart wide open, I will love and have no fear. Yeah when I get where I'm going, Don't cry for me down here.

I'm gonna walk with my grandaddy, and he'll match me step for step, and I'll tell him how I missed him, every minute since he left. Then I'll hug his neck."

(From When I Get Where I'm Going by Brad Paisley feat. Dolly Parton)

1 comment:

Janell said...

Hugs to you Shelby for this wonderful post! I, too, amd looking forward to walking with my grandaddy and hugging his neck. My gramps was a thoroughbred race horse trainer and died before I was old enough to become a groom and apprentice for him. I really feel like I missed out by being born too late.

I'm even looking forward to the happy tears.